an update to automake-1.11?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jul 1 11:21:50 UTC 2009

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 12:50 +0200, Ondřej Vašík wrote:
>> Mark McLoughlin wrote:

>>> Is there a bug report with details of this gnulib/coreutils request?
>> Not really, it was just direct irl/irc/mail communication with
>> automake/autoconf fedora maintainers&comaintainers. First request was
>> only about 1.10b in rawhide (after f-12 split) - as I needed at least
>> 1.10b to build coreutils-7.4 there (otherwise only with an ugly hack).
>
> Okay, but what exactly are we talking about here? What does gnulib or
> coreutils need that 1.10 doesn't have?
coreutils' automake configuration uses features which are not available
before automake-1.11 (rsp. post automake-1.10 devel snapshots)

> A rebase of an important package in three stable releases, which is
> expected to break rebuilds of some packages,
No, it doesn't. It's simply that developing coreutils now requires a
specific version of the autotools.

This is not much different from demands of many other projects, which
also require specific versions.

The only difference is coreutils requiring a very recent automake, due
to it exploiting a new feature and not a specific, older version due to
suffering from compatibility issues, like most other such cases do.

> should surely have more
> justification than an empty update description, no associated bugzilla
> and claims that Jim Meyering needs some unspecified new features.
Well, these new features have been introduced to automake, primarily due
to Jim Meyering's initiative/pressure.

I guess hardly anybody but him is currently using these features.

Ralf