Raising the bar

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 12:41:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Matthias Clasen<mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> To achieve this, we will hold regular test days, each of which will
> focus on use cases in a certain area. A few ideas for test day topics

Overall, an excellent idea and plan. We had some very good results
with an OLPC test group in Wellington NZ, which started gathering
every saturday morning at a trendy cafe to test OS snapshots. They
keep the practice going with both OS snapshots for the XO and
Sugar-on-a-Stick (LiveUSB) images.

Using liveCDs and live USB disks is great as you can upgrade,
downgrade and potentially bisect a bug quickly. It also means you can
run it on many different bits of HW (assuming you've invited everyone
to bring their laptops ;-) )

The event is a social thing as much as a technical thing.

Of course, it is a great environment to find and diagnose certain
kinds of bugs, just like running Fedora betas on a server helps catch
and debug only certain kinds of bugs. But the bugs that you are likely
to find and diagnose are exactly those that affect the casual and
newcomer desktop user.

We did find a few things that work well in terms of nurturing a core
group of people joining regularly, and switching from the social
chatter to the effective bug-hunting and filing. Let me know if you're
interested in more info on this.

cheers!

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com