Feature proposal: Extended Life Cycle Support

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sun Jul 5 10:12:45 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 12:03:05PM +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

> The CentOS project, or it's upstream, has a release cycle of approximately
> three years -not a steady release cycle of three years but that's what it
> turns out to be. This disqualifies the distribution(s) as desktop Linux
> distributions, as desktops tend to need to run the latest and greatest for
> as far the latest and greatest lets them.

I don't completely agree that "desktops tend to need to run the latest and
greatest" (when we're talking about business desktops), but desktops
(especially also when talking about laptops because of HW compatibilities)
need newer software than RHEL offers, based on now 3 year old base versions
of most packages (except Firefox and a few others).

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>