Feature proposal: Extended Life Cycle Support

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Jul 5 10:39:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 12:03 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> The CentOS project, or it's upstream, has a release cycle of approximately
> three years -not a steady release cycle of three years but that's what it
> turns out to be. This disqualifies the distribution(s) as desktop Linux
> distributions, as desktops tend to need to run the latest and greatest for
> as far the latest and greatest lets them.
>
> Does that make sense?

As a standalone observation, perhaps -- some desktop users often don't
want old, stagnant code; they'd prefer the latest bells and whistles.

But it makes no sense when considered in conjunction with your apparent
desire for an old, stagnant version of Fedora.

What makes you think it would be any different?

It's not exactly difficult or problematic to update from one version of
Fedora to the next. I do it on each of my servers at least once a year
(I usually skip a release, but not always). And those are mostly
headless, remote boxes.

If you want new stuff, run Fedora and do a fairly painless update
annually. If you want old stuff, run Centos and update less frequently.

I don't see any need for a middle ground.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation