Feature proposal: Extended Life Cycle Support

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 15:46:15 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Jos Vos<jos at xos.nl> wrote:

> I don't completely agree that "desktops tend to need to run the latest and
> greatest" (when we're talking about business desktops), but desktops

I don't agree with that position either - note my work laptop, which
unfortunately runs Windows.  However, just to make a point, it runs
Windows XP Pro, and Office 2003 - hardly the latest and greatest that
Microsoft has to offer. A RHEL 5 desktop would provide me similarly
aged (or newer) software.

RHEL/CentOS also gets hardware enablement throughout it's lifecycle,
so the "newer laptops need newer software" only holds true through the
beginning of the Production 2 support phase at minimum, by which time
the next release of RHEL should be available (for RHEL 5, this date is
3/31/2011)