Feature proposal: Extended Life Cycle Support

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Mon Jul 6 00:11:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 22:13 +0100, Christopher Brown wrote:
> 2009/7/4 Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com>:
> > I wanted to draw your attention to a feature I've proposed for Fedora 12,
> > mysteriously called Extended Life Cycle.
> >
> > You can find more details at
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Extended_Life_Cycle
>
> Perhaps a way to do this would be to identify what the latest and
> greatest is that users want and make _that_ run on Centos. Here's my
> list:
>
> OO.org
> Firefox
> Thunderbird
> Evolution with MAPI connector
> GNOME-RDP
> Amarok

There is a fast track channel for RHEL5 that is supposed to provide
early updates of at least some apps.

> I can only see MAPI being a problem requiring some Samba 4 stuff.

Much worse than that.  The MAPI evo is 2.26, but RHEL5's is 2.16.  You'd
have to upgrade the entire GNOME infrastructure to support the MAPI
stuff.  From the discussions I've read, back-porting MAPI support is not
practical.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences