Feature proposal: Extended Life Cycle Support

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Jul 6 15:16:20 UTC 2009

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 02:03:01 +0200, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> Whether 6 months of additional availability of security updates is going
>> to help, and to what extend, we'll have to see. Compared to the current
>> situation, that'll give an environment 7 months to upgrade beyond the
>> moment that we now call End-Of-Life for a given release and 3 releases
>> choose from -certainly a lot more time then 1 month and 2 releases to
>> choose from.
>
> They already have 7 months of time to move to the next version. It's just
> if
> they absolutely want to skip a version that they only have 1 month.

True, but consider that moving to Fedora N+1 requires one to reconsider
within 6 months. As such I'd say choosing the Fedora N+1 option when Fedora
N+2 does not meet ones needs or expectations and one decides to put off on
upgrading to Fedora N+2, leaves them with a one month upgrade opportunity
after Fedora N+3's GA after all, and so is not exactly without penalty.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip