Feature proposal: Extended Life Cycle Support

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Jul 6 16:57:34 UTC 2009

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 23:58:52 +0200
Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:

> I wanted to draw your attention to a feature I've proposed for Fedora
> 12, mysteriously called Extended Life Cycle.
>
> You can find more details at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Extended_Life_Cycle
>
> Kind regards,

Some general comments:

- Have you talked with the last folks that attempted this?

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2009-February/msg00030.html
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc7dcczk_2fxtsctdq&hl=en

- The issue I have with this plan (and the others very like it) is that
  if you say "we will just do updates for the things we have people
  willing to do updates" it means the entire end of life distro is not
  covered and the likelyhood of an outstanding security issue is quite
  high. There is a chicken and egg issue here where unless there is
  enough coverage we shouldn't do it, but we can't find out if there is
  enough coverage without doing it. Doing it in such a way that it
  fails just gives everyone a bad name and feeling, IMHO.

- An indeterminate time is also bad IMHO. How can these corporations
  plan if they don't know how much time you are adding here?

- Have you considered leveraging the 'critical path' proposal? Try and
  up front get enough folks to cover all the critical path packages and
  expand from there?

- How many people are on board with this? Do you have guidelines for
  what will be updated or not? what packages? Version updates ok? Or
  only security fixes?

- Are there any Corporations that specifically asked for this? Would
  they be willing to provide any resources to the effort?

Just a few thoughts...

> Jeroen van Meeuwen
> -kanarip

kevin