http://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Jul 7 08:56:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 10:24:24AM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Frank Murphy<frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there any contingency plans in place,
> > for a worst case scenario if C#, is lost?
> > FesCo?
> > Legal?
> >
> > Is there any searchable parameter,
> > to work out what something is coded in\depending on (code wise)
> >

> > This is not the normal "**** mono" post.
> > I hope, I worded it enough, that my concern is:
> > Fedora and *All* our Users
> > (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview#What_is_Fedora.3F)
>
> http://port25.technet.com/archive/2009/07/06/the-ecma-c-and-cli-standards.aspx

Oh poo, and what's the difference? None. None whatsoever but more marketing.

You can't distribute GPL'ed software unless you have the right to do it.

The promise makes quite sure to tell you you have no right[1], but you can
infringe that they won't sue *you*[2].

[1] => means you can't do it with GPL
[2] => means you can't do it with GPL3

If you want to do it with GPL'ed software, you need to obtain a RAND or RAND-Z
patent license. Who ever got it, could s/he please publish it?

Microsoft promised to give it to a company that asked for it in Portugal, and
they never fulfilled (even after insistence).

I know of several other people who have asked for it and never got it.

You need to stop believing in Santa.

Rui