http://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono

Julian Aloofi julian.fedoralists at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 7 14:06:15 UTC 2009

Am Dienstag, den 07.07.2009, 15:36 +0200 schrieb drago01:
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Jonathan
> Underwood<jonathan.underwood at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I am unable to read the Community Promise in any way that implies either
> >> of the above.  Please cite exactly which statement in the Community
> >> Promise you take issue with.
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/interop/cp/default.mspx
> >>

> > Not answering Ajax's question specifically, but this looks a bit iffy:
> >
> > "If you file, maintain, or voluntarily participate in a patent
> > infringement lawsuit against a Microsoft implementation of any Covered
> > Specification, then this personal promise does not apply with respect
> > to any Covered Implementation made or used by you."
> >
> > So, say a few years have passed and C# and the CLI is now a very key
> > component of the stack, and Red Hat (for example) filed a patent
> > lawsuit against MS for something *unrelated*,
>
> " against a Microsoft implementation of any Covered Specification"
> I don't see why Red Hat would ever sue MS because of a C# / CLI patent.
>
> Anything unrelated _IS_ unrelated.
Unfortunately the patent promise covers more things than just C# / CLI patents.
And it seems like you're going to lose the whole promise when you just
sue them over one specification in there, e.g. the XPS specification.
Maybe that's less of a problem for Red Hat because they don't like
patents anyway and are not likely holding any XPS related patents, but
it could be a problem for the OIN.