$HOME/bin

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 11:47:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 13:31 +0200, Stefan Assmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering why there's no $HOME/bin directory and $HOME/bin not
> mentioned in the $PATH variable. Any particular reason not to have that
> by default?
>
>    Stefan
Hi,

because most people don't need it? Well, I would not be exactly against
making this default, but I'm not sure if $HOME/bin would be the right
one... Since xdg-dirs came around I use $HOME/Applications/bin for that
purpose to keep $HOME cleaner (even though this particular directory
isn't in the scheme...) But I cannot really argue either way...

Martin