Feature proposal: Rebootless Installer

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Tue Jul 14 09:01:15 UTC 2009

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 14.07.2009 10:04, Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> [...]In any event, I'd love to hear what people think. [...]
>
> I for one think rebooting after install is a very good thing, as only a
> full reboot makes sure the install (including boot loaders) was
> completely successful and works fine.

Also, one possible way to potentially mitigate this danger with yet
another device mapper trick would be to-

After installation, create a snapshot of the system disk(s), then boot
them headlessly under qemu in some way that you could tickle them into
proving that the bootloader worked (perhaps an init script that detects
this type of test qemu run, and provides some output than can be caught).

-dmc