NVR bugs in rawhide

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 09:15:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 10:21:13 +0200, Daniel wrote:

> I found 375 possibly wrong NVRs in rawhide.
> Can you check it an fix it, please?
> I'd like to file bugs for those which won't get fixed in couple weeks.
>
> Short explanation of detected errors follows:
>
> Release doesn't contain a %dist tag.
>  - %dist is missing in Release: in spec

Often on purpose. Not a bug.

> Extra characters after %dist tag.
> - there should not be any characters after %dist
> - the only exception is a workaround for older releases to keep upgrade
> path: 2.fc10.1 < 2.fc11
> - rawhide definitely shouldn't contain these

Should not or must not?

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#Minor_release_bumps_for_old_branches
>

> iniparser-3.0-0.1.b.fc12.src.rpm
>   - Release format can be wrong. Unknown non-numeric characters in release.

Not a bug. The ".1" in "0.1" here is the portion of %release that
is more significant than the parts following it.
painstakingly, one would bump it with every change of the package,
no matter whether the ".b" changes, too.

> - Pre-release build's release should start with '0.'.

Too late to correct it (for many of the findings). And often they are not
even an error, because with post-release (!) scm snapshots, upstream *and*
packagers typically don't increase %version -- particulary not if the
next official %version is not known yet. So, once the next final
upstream release is made, %version will increase. And only then one
can reset %release to 0 or 1.