NVR bugs in rawhide

Daniel Mach dmach at redhat.com
Tue Jul 14 11:34:07 UTC 2009

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:21:13AM +0200, Daniel Mach wrote:
>
>> I found 375 possibly wrong NVRs in rawhide.
>> Can you check it an fix it, please?
>> I'd like to file bugs for those which won't get fixed in couple weeks.
>>
>> Short explanation of detected errors follows:
>>
>> Release doesn't contain a %dist tag.
>> - %dist is missing in Release: in spec
>> -
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#Using_the_.25.7B.3Fdist.7D_Tag
>>

> The guideline you refer to says "if you wish to use a single spec file...".
> So I don't see why not using %dist would be a bug if you don't wish to do
> that.
>
> 	Jakub

Right, %dist is not mandatory in Fedora.
But Fedora is upstream for RHEL and we'll probably consider this as a
bug in RHEL once we import some Fedora packages.
I think it's better to fix it upstream rather than do our local fixes.

Why we do it? For example, you can't push a rpm signed with two
different keys to Spacewalk channels (which happens when you use
per-release signing keys).
Therefore we have to make difference between NVRs and add %dist.

I'll discuss possible Fedora NVR policy changes with spot.

- daniel

--
Daniel Mach <dmach at redhat.com>
Release Engineering, Red Hat