Feature proposal: Rebootless Installer

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Tue Jul 14 11:38:54 UTC 2009

Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2009/07/14 02:04 (GMT-0600) Douglas McClendon composed:
> [snip]
>> http://viros.org/rebootless
>
> Doesn't kexec, which does a BIOS bypassing reboot, accomplish what you want?
> OpenSUSE's installer has had kexec_reboot=1 by default for a version or two
> (I think default started with 11.1): http://en.opensuse.org/Kexec
> http://en.opensuse.org/Linuxrc

No, from a user experience perspective, a kexec 'warm' reboot is still a
reboot.  There is AFAIK no user experience example to look to in
comparison.  Perhaps somewhere along the line people tried pivot_roots
after installation, but short of this devicemapper trick, there was
always the trouble that tied up file descriptors would prevent you from
being able to eject the livecd.  I could be wrong about that, or my
interpretation of what kexec does (I've read about it often in LWN, but
never knowingly used it).

Your first link seems currently broken (database error), and the second
doesn't really lead me to believe it is anything equivalent.  I haven't
used *suse that much recently so I can't be sure- Is it perhaps
something where they have a very minimal partial installation, then
start writing the minimal stuff to disk, kexec-reboot, and then set you
up in system that is finishing installing while you use it?  If so, one
way to describe the major benefit of my rebootless installer, is that
you get to boot the livecd/usb environment, *then use it as such*, and
at your option, desire, and convenience, decide to permanently install
the LiveOS you have just been using and configuring, to disk.  And of
course when done, just pop out the livecd/usb, and your are done... and
free to leave your system with a continuingly increasing uptime :)

peace...

-dmc