NVR bugs in rawhide

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 15:36:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:01:50 +0200, Ralf wrote:

> > You don't need to drop %dist for koji build inheritance to work.
> >
> > It just looks much cleaner to inherit foo-1.0-1.noarch.rpm for all
> > newer targets
>
> IFF "current rpm" is sufficiently compatible to the antique version of
> rpm a package has been built on.
>
> If this doesn't apply you don't get anywhere.

Not _with_ %dist either.

> > No.  Particulary for noarch data packages, using %dist bears an
> > additional risk. Because it becomes possible to tag a package on
> > multiple branches and break inheritance by building for more than
> > the oldest branch.
> To me, this is not a risk, but a valuable feature.

The packager is free to decide whether and when to do this either with or
without %dist.

> => I agree with Jussi. Allowing people not to use %dist is not helpful.
> It's a booby trap which certainly will hit some day.

%dist is a trap itself - packagers run into it regularly, e.g. when
adding Obsoletes and versioned dependencies, when doing trial-and-error
fixing of old branches (without paying attention to the recommendations in
the guidelines), when committing and tagging after a server-side update of
the "branches" file.