Feature proposal: Rebootless Installer

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Wed Jul 15 03:59:31 UTC 2009

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 July 2009 11:50:06 Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 09:27:08AM -0600, Douglas McClendon wrote:

>>> ... Same as RebootlessInstaller ... until ksplice ...
>> I don't think ksplice changes things -- it seems to only work for very
>> minor kernel patches.  For example, any change to the layout of a
>> kernel structure would appear to be incompatible with ksplice.  Thus
>> it seems highly unlikely it'll ever work in its current form for
>> arbitrary kernel revisions.
>
> Trying to ksplice from 2.6.29.4 in the installer to say 2.6.30.1 or even
> to 2.6.31 does sound like massive fail...

Yes, I was only really referring to the 'idea of ksplice', not it's
actual implementation thus far.  Or rather, more in an enterprise/LTS
scenario like that company dedicated to supporting an extremely stable
set of ksplicable kernel packages.

Because in the fantasy scenario, with such ksplice, and
RebootlessInstaller, a truly rebootless OS lifecycle does become
theoretically possible.  Which is kind of cool.  But that is so bleeding
edge it really shouldn't distract from the current decision on this feature.

peace...

-dmc