creating minimal boot image for network installations

Yanko Kaneti yaneti at declera.com
Thu Jul 16 14:54:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 07:35 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> Yanko Kaneti wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 10:05 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>
> >> Note that while kernel + initrd is all you "need", not having the stage2
> >> means we have to ask where to find it rather than being able to automate
> >> the use of the mirror list for everything
> >
> > Anything in particular that prevents the loader from using the mirror
> > list to find a suitable location for stage2 ?  ..other than "no patches
> > for it yet"
>
> Especially for testing rawhide, I find that using the mirror list is problematic.
> Some mirrors sync quickly (a couple hours), others take significantly longer
> (*many* hours).  I would rather specify the mirror explicitly.

No need for the possibility of one to exclude the other. Given a command
line parameter(s) (or the lack of it) the loader might decide to:
- use the mirrorlist and proceed with getting stage2 all automatically.
- use the mirrorlist and give option of choosing a particular mirror or
enter a new one.
- not use the mirror list at all and use the supplied url or ask for it
if there isn't one. Like it does now.

All useful options depending on the use case.