No Frozen Rawhide

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jul 22 20:49:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 15:35:06 -0400,
  Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 11:55:27AM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> >> You actually want overlap for a while so that when rsyncing you can use
> >> hardlinks instead of having to redownload files you already have.
> >> This is going to be more relevant if koji signing happens and packages don't
> >> get different signatures depending on which repo they are in.
> >
> >That would be nice for updates/updates-testing moves too.
> >For that, I've thought it might work to put them all in updates/.all or
> >someplace, with updates/... or updates/testing/... being hardlinks to that.
>
> Releases prior to F-11 wouldn't benefit from that at all, as the RPMs
> actually change when going from updates-testing to updates due to being
> signed with different keys.

I think that it will still help with large enough rpms since rsync will
try to use parts of the files if they match names. (There options to
try to use files with similar names, but I don't think that is very
useful for compressed files since they change almost everywhere.)
The resources used are different though (bandwidth vs random disk IO) so
it could actually make things worse.