F12 Alpha Blocker Bug Meeting: Friday 2009-07-24

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jul 23 23:33:17 UTC 2009

> On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 18:12 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > [tone note:  not a sarcastic question...]
> >
> > What are "critical functions of the system"?
> >
> > I'd say access to one's filesystem is quite critical.  :)
> >
> > Either way things go...  thanks!
>
> Outside the less popular cases of nfs mounted / or /home, you do not
> need access to NFS mounted filesystems in order to login and update your
> system.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Critical_Path_Packages_Proposal speaks to
> some of what we consider the critical path.

Also, from your description, this affects the case where the *server* is
running F12 alpha and clients are running something older. This
definitely doesn't fit into the alpha criteria :)

the criteria we mostly use to evaluate alpha blockers are the same as
the criteria on which the critical path proposal is based: bugs which
stop you being able to boot the system and update it graphically are
blockers. So if you can't boot the system, can't start X, can't do any
input, or networking is broken - those are potentially critical issues
(though they may not count if they only affect some specific piece of
hardware). There's wiggle room, obviously - this is something it's hard
to write down really definitively - but I think most of QA / releng
would agree that an issue which affects the use of the system as an NFS
server won't block the alpha release.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey