RFE: FireKit

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 24 17:49:50 UTC 2009

Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On 07/24/2009 12:03 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>> Python does not make for a particularly efficient long-running daemon.
>>> And if your plan is to monitor for port openings in order to prompt,
>>> it's going to need to be a long-running daemon (also you'll probably
>>> want a kernel module component to signal your daemon when a port is
>>> opened)
>>>
>>> If I might suggest, you probably want to use a compiled language like C.
>>> The GLib C framework is probably a good approach, especially with its
>>> excellent glib-dbus integration.
>> If I might suggest, C++ and Qt would also be a fine approach :-), the
>> object model isn't built on C hacks, and Qt also has great dbus
>> integration. (And it's bloody easy to design UI's in Qt. And you could
>> make friends by working with KDE instead of making them play catch-up,
>> for a change.) Why does everyone have to reach for glibc first?
>
> Sorry, wasn't trying to start a holy-war.

:-)

Since I also do not wish to start a holy war, I'll stop now. Both camps
have now been suggested, that is enough for me.

> I reached for GLib mainly because it's written in C and doesn't
> require pulling in the entire C++ shared object set.

TBH I have (almost) no experience with glib, but the mere idea of trying
to write OO in C scares me ;-). (Conversely I have pretty decent
experience with Qt, and absolutely love it.) C++ was designed for OO;
"little" things like ctors/dtors make life soooo much easier.

--
Matthew