fedora 11 worst then ever release

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jul 26 12:37:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, Alan Cox wrote:

> "all of my system has a wrong openssl version"
>
> all these symptoms sound like your upgrade went horribly wrong. I've seen
> preupgrade mash up a box by half upgrading like that. It's the main reason
> I don't think preupgrade is actually safe to use yet.

Preupgrade's process is to depsolve - using the same method anaconda does,
download the pkgs it solves out. Put them in a cachedir. Download a
kernel and an initrd, Setup a ks.cfg. then reboot the machine and allow
anaconda to do the install.

Specific issues we've had with preupgrade are related to not being able to
find a mirror and/or not being able to get pkgs. However, once the pkgs
are downloaded and the system reboots it is all in Anaconda's hands.

The case of yum being 'partially' upgraded came from us having a newer yum
in f10+updates than was in F11. This was documented here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F11_bugs#Yum_doesn.27t_work_after_upgrading_from_F10

and the fix provided for it works to get you to update properly.

now, since farkas just mentioned that he didn't actually run preupgrade
when things went badly then it suggests to me that preupgrade is probably
not to blame.

Alan, if you can describe the situation where preupgrade munged up a
system, I'd like to take a look.

-sv