Applications install should be idiot proof

Ben Boeckel MathStuf at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 13:15:00 UTC 2009

Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009, Nelson Chan wrote:
>
>> i've just read

http://blogs.computerworld.com/ubuntu_to_make_linux_application_
installation_idiot_proof he got
>> a pretty good idea, see the 2nd last paragraph: """
>> I may know that Amarok, Banshee, Rhythmbox, and Songbird are
all noteworthy Linux music players,
>> but come on! Does anyone beside another Linux expert know
that? Letting users choose a program
>> by say clicking on "music player" and then picking one makes
all the sense in the world.
>> """
>> The idea is that newbies are likely have no idea what
amarok,rhythmbox are, so does other
>> applications  Totem, abiword, Brasero..etc.  what they know
are the general type of the software
>> --- Music player, movie player, office suite, CD/DVD
burner...
>> Also i tried to search for "music player" in Add/Remove
Software, interestingly, it gives
>> extremely odd and pointless result..(try that yourself)
>> So i can see why newbies are pull their hair off and *CAN"T
GET THINGS DONE*, and claim *fedora
>> sucks* See this fact, i think that we should classify some
applications under their type.
>> For instance,  have   Rhythmbox, amarok ..etc  under "Music
Player"

>> The above is just a suggestion, hoping to help brain storming
more better approaches.
>> But i think that the idea is kinda a must for Windows and Mac
OS X users to get comfort with
>> Linux/fedora.
>>

> something on track for Fedora 13 is tags for packages. So you
can add
> arbitrary keywords/phrases for packages that then yum/PK can
search on.

> -sv

Would these be a comps-like system? Could they replace comps
with tags like -required and -recommended tag suffixes (my
knowledge of the inner working of comps is limited)? Or would
they be marked in pkgdb or the spec file? Links to information
would be nice; I'd like such a system :) .

- --Ben