[ANNOUNCE] New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Wed Jul 29 07:46:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:07:32PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 28.07.09 15:48, Bill Nottingham (notting at redhat.com) wrote:
>

> > Lennart Poettering (mzerqung at 0pointer.de) said:
> > > Please note that it is our intention not to wrap obsolete mixer
> > > controls such as "CD", "PC Speaker", "MIDI" and so on. If you file a
> > > bug asking for those to be wrapped we will disappoint you and
> > > close the bug WONTFIX.
> >
> > When you mean 'not wrap them', do you mean they're no longer
> > selectable as a record source, if the hardware exports them?
>
> Yes. You cannot select them as record source, you cannot mute or
> unmute them, you cannot change their volume. "CD", "PC Speaker",
> "MIDI" and so on are just obsolete.

This reminds me your note:

    https://tango.0pointer.de/pipermail/pulseaudio-discuss/2009-July/004519.html

    PA does not make use of hardware mixing. And I don't plan to change
    that. It's obsolete technology. CPUs these days come with extensions
    such as MMX or SSE precisely for speeding up DSP tasks such as PCM
    mixing. This is way more flexible that hw mixing, and definitely the
    way to the future, both on the desktop and on embedded envs as well.

The "obsolete technology" -- who made this decision? Is it your private
opinion or any suggestion from sound card manufacturers?

It seems that HW companies still produce the "obsolete technology".

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>