new to list, first post

Felix Kaechele felix at fetzig.org
Thu Jul 30 14:45:36 UTC 2009

On 30.07.2009 16:30 wdepli at mikrotec.com wrote:
> Is Fedora really gaining that much ground with every bi-yearly release to
> justify that pace?

Why does a fast development pace need to be justified. That's just so
paradoxical...

> After all Red Hat is not a desktop but a server, right?  And Chrome could
> kill current races to find a desktop to compete with Windows.  So why not
> concentrate on what Red Hat/Fedora does best?  Let Ubuntu grind out Gnome
> and KDE enhancements.  How often does Solaris release desktop distros?

Are you serious?
Fedora is a community driven project. The community decides the
direction it wants the distribution to go. And it is also true that
Fedora is upstream to Red Hat Enterprise Linux. However even RHEL is not
server-only. RHEL also makes a great desktop client in an environment
where long term support is needed.
Also: I _want_ to use Fedora as a desktop. And I also _want_ to use it
as a server. At the Moment I see no problem in that. Why can't there be
both in your opinion?
Letting Ubuntu "grind out" the desktop stuff doesn't make sense. Do you
want to kick out all the guys doing great work on desktop stuff and send
them to Ubuntu?

And to answer your last question. Solaris releases their "desktop
distro" every six months, just like Fedora. They then call it
"OpenSolaris", also a community-driven project.

Greetings,
Felix