Brainstorming Session for Fedora Community 2.0 - Monday August 3, 2009 - 1500 UTC

John Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 18:13:49 UTC 2009

----- "Ben Boeckel" <MathStuf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> seem to work with
> in firefox.
> >>
> >> Confirmed with Konqueror 4.2.98
> >
> > Hmm. How to put this nicely...
> >
> > Konqueror is a terrible web browser. Use something else.
> >
> > If you want a more detailed answer, it is that konqueror
> doesn't
> > properly support javascript, specifically, jquery.
> >
> > See:
> > http://dev.jquery.com/ticket/4362
> > http://dev.jquery.com/ticket/4725
> > http://docs.jquery.com/Browser_Compatibility
> >
> > ~spot
> >

> Actually, the only things that the jQuery test page[1] says that
> Konqueror (4.2.4) is failing at are:
>
> 31. core module: append(String|Element|Array<Element>|jQuery)
>     7. Check for appending text with spaces
> 137. ajax module: jQuery.post(String, Hash, Function) - simple
> with xml
>     3. Expected 4 assertions, but 2 were run
> 197. fx module: Chain hide show
>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
> 198. fx module: Chain show hide
>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
> 199. fx module: Chain toggle in
>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
> 200. fx module: Chain toggle out
>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
> 201. fx module: Chain slideUp slideDown
>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
> 202. fx module: Chain slideDown slideUp
>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
> 203. fx module: Chain slideToggle in
>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
> 204. fx module: Chain slideToggle out
>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
>
> The first two seem like bugs (137 looks fixed as of 4.2.98), the
> last bunch like not-implemented-yet. I assume the Chain stuff is
> used to load/show the panels and such in the work area (pardon
> the ignorance of any official jargon). So once the Chain stuff
> is implemented, I imagine Konq should work (unless there are
> things that the test page doesn't test for).
>
> - --Ben
>
> [1] http://jquery.com/test

I also hit resource limits when using regexp.  That being said if there are easy ways to debug in Konq I am willing to take a look at issues in my own code once the JQuery tests are passed.  If the devs want to make FComm a sort of test site for AJAX, I am willing to work with them.

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Software Engineer