new to list, first post

Felix Kaechele felix at fetzig.org
Fri Jul 31 08:07:01 UTC 2009

Om 31.07.2009 01:27 Doug Epling wrote:

>> Also: I _want_ to use Fedora as a desktop. And I also _want_ to use it
>> as a server. At the Moment I see no problem in that. Why can't there be
>> both in your opinion?
>>
> Well, excuse me for my old fashioned notion that a server must run for
> days, weeks, months without incident.  More and more I see a system
> loaded down with GUI apps that are crashing.

I run my server with Fedora and didn't have any incidents of crashing
yet. My installation is completely X and GUI free (I used the Kickstart
from the AOS spin to install). However it is true that more and more
packages have dependencies on X libs when this is not actually necessary.
You could join the Server SIG [1] and try to make it better :)

Felix

[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Server