Testing libsatsolver on Fedora

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Fri Jul 31 15:08:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 06:42:44PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> If others are doing it wrong, then there  *is* a clear and direct way to
> demonstrate performance. Yum developers can do the performance
> benchmarking between different dep resolves (yum, apt-rpm, smart and now
> solv) and publish it in the way that is considered fair.

I don't think it is possible to make a benchmark that would be fair
for everyone.

If I'm not mistaken yum is developed to work only with Fedora
repositories which are conflict free, while the other depsolvers try
to handle more general repositories with conflicts. This gives yum a
big advantage as it doesn't need to use as complex algorithms as the
other depsolvers use. IIRC this reduces the complexity of the problem
from exponential to polynomial.

--
Miroslav Lichvar