[ANNOUNCE] New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Jul 31 02:54:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 20:20 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 29 juillet 2009 à 17:49 +0100, Bastien Nocera a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 12:42 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
> > > Problem is...  removing or disabling PA often -does- solve a problem.
> >
> > Rather, it works around it. The problems in the kernel drivers are
> > usually still there...
>
> Before PA a sound problem didn't freeze the GUI (effectively bricking
> the system for normal users). Now it can. In my case, a few months ago,
> it was doing so because a new PA version could not parse a manual config
> change advertised in Fedora's own "Glitch-free audio" feature page a
> release before.

Oh, you must not have been around when esound was used in gnome.  esd
used to die all the time and drag down applications with it as it went.
The app would sit there waiting to ring it's bell (or whatever) and
since esd wasn't responding, it would just stop.

Of course, you might blame the application (or maybe gnome) for assuming
that the app couldn't go on until that little bell chime rang.

R.