Agenda for the 2009-05-26 Packaging Committee meeting

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jun 1 12:13:19 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:53:07PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> Or consider "Recommends: B >= 1.2" - what exactly does this mean? The
> package does something "better" if B is installed too, but what if we
> only have B 1.0 installed/available. Does the package even work with B
> 1.0? If it doesn't work with B 1.0, should rpm emit an error in such a
> case? If the version doesn't match, should B be pulled in anyway?

As far as I can tell, in Debian a versioned suggestion is still just a
suggestion.  If B = 1.0 were installed, it would be up to the package
A to detect this and do the right thing.  But I agree this is a nasty
corner case which would need to be made explicit one way or another.

RIch.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/