Plans for tomorrow's (20090529) FESCo meeting

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jun 1 18:14:52 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 13:47 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:

> > Mandriva took DKMS and hacked it up so that it creates both pre-built
> > binaries and 'source' packages (much like kmods and akmods in the kmod
> > system), so that if you have a system without the build chain things
> > will work as long as you're running a supported kernel and the updates
> > are in sync, but if you have the whole build chain, the 'source' DKMS
> > package covers you if you're running a different kernel or whatever. RPM
> > Fusion does much the same by providing both kmods and akmods.
>
> I do wish MDV would send such patches upstream...  I always had to go
> hunting for patches.

If they've not been, I'm not sure why; MDV usually likes upstreaming
stuff because they're extremely under-resourced when it comes to
developers, so everyone wants their life to be easier :). It may just be
that they felt the patches were sufficiently extensive/hacky that Dell
may not want them.

Anyhoo, you can find this stuff in MDV SVN:

http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/dkms/current/

A good guy to talk to about MDV's changes to DKMS would be Olivier Blin,
oblin at mandriva.com . I think he'd know most things you'd want to ask.

Sending off list as we appear to be somewhat off topic :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey