Fedora bittorrent tracker?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 19:59:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> No problem from me-  I just don't think we've had requests for this kind of
> thing, yet - and we'll need to police it.

It maybe one of those things that ends up being requested only after
people know its there to be used.  Or it might not catch on all. I'm
not saying do the integration work with FAS yet, and make it clickity
easy for people to track torrents. But maybe have the seedless tracker
look into a specific directory in the people spaces for .torrent files
to track. Like how the planet picks up your feed info. That might
lower the bar enough to make people think about using it for things.

For example...If the new version of pitivi that's under development
now is as good as the blogs make it out to be. Come F12 we could be
shipping a reasonably good video editer tool as part of the distro. A
seedless tracker might be a great way to foster a secondary community
of raw dv video content like interviews and FAD events and
screencasts...with the goal of other people being able to edit it down
into usable clips in pitivi and producing theora encoded content of
reasonable size. Without putting an initial burden on Fedora
infrastructure to make space for all the raw content. torrents may not
be good for packages, but its great as a way to spread stupidly large
dv video clips.

Policing it is another can of worms entirely.  I imagine, a simple
don't be an ass honor code would apply similar to the cvs commit
access.

-jef"I'm looking forward to seeing the datamined nuggets richard wants
to distributed. He's such a tease."spaleta