Announcing Fedora Activity Day - Fedora Development Cycle 2009

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Jun 2 19:30:17 UTC 2009

On 02.06.2009 00:22, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 04:03:04PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> I'm getting out of my ken here, but could this be done in stages with
>> I2 connected hosts getting the bits early/first and then moving on to
>> others?
> We need to move ~130GB to each of ~230 mirrors, in about 4
> days.

I'd like to question these numbers. All the SRPMS (18 GByte) and RPMS
(20 GByte per arch) of a new release are in the rawhide trees already --
thus if they are hardlinked properly then they can be transferred in a
minute or two. The install CD and DVD images (~ 8 GByte each per arch?)
are bigger, but if we get RC with the final name transferred to the
mirrors ahead of time then they can be updated relative quickly as well,
as only a few bit change.

The spins that get compressed are a problem. But we only send Desktop
and KDE spins to the mirrors for x86-32 and x86-64 afaics -- so roughly
3 GByte in total.

So 3 GByte + some other random stuff that changed  -- install.img,
boot.iso, and some other things. Not sure how much that will sum up to,
but can't sum up to that much -- maybe 3 or 5 more GByte.

Let's say it are 10 GBtyte. It afaics shouldn't take more then a day if
all mirrors look out for new stuff at least every 4 hours and have a
link that isn't slow by todays standards.

Or what am I missing?

Cu
knurd