Maintainer Responsibilities

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 13:00:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 14:06:45 +0200, Ralf wrote:

> I consider users (esp. bug reporters) not to be "the dumb pigs eating
> the hog wash they get for free", or "clueless comsumer masses" aborbing
> anything they don't pay for with money, but them to be the foundation of
> your work and them to be valuable business partners, paying in
> immaterial payment (e.g. feedback, such as bug reports).

That's an idealistic [over-simplified] point of view which I don't want to
agree with. There is no clear relationship, such as a seller and a
purchaser (and the "customer is king" guideline doesn't apply), since the
person who produces the packages may be the one to _give_ more than he
_gets_ in return by the users. Or vice versa. All that's clear to me is
that the packager fills the role of a "provider", providing packaging
services, and certain feedback from some package users may help with
improving the quality of the provided product. In turn the provider ought
to have interest in such an improvement and in boosting the relationship
with the package users.

Preferably, users with strong interest in a particular Fedora package sign
up at the Fedora Account System, so they can subscribe to a package's
watchbugzilla and watchcommit channels.