Announcing Fedora Activity Day - Fedora Development Cycle 2009

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Jun 3 23:48:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 06:45:07PM -0400, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> On 06/01/2009 06:45 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > If we had I2 in PHX this would get a lot faster.
>
> We just need to hold some classes and get the PHX datacenter certified
> as a University. ;)

Not necessarily.  I don't see why the Fedora Project couldn't qualify
as a Sponsored Participant on Internet2 [1].  In fact, Red Hat is
already connected in Raleigh.  I'd gladly help pursue this, but I may
not be the right person seeing as I'm in Boston, not PHX.

I2 also has a "private lambda" service where you can get your own
dedicated 10Gig wavelength across the backbone [2].  It seems they are
currently offering no-fee trials of this service to I2 connectors.

Arizona State University is already on I2 via CENIC, and CENIC offers
this Dynamic Circuit capability.  MCNC in Durham where Red Hat is
connected doesn't appear to have DCN though.

[1] http://www.internet2.edu/network/participants/

"Sponsored participants are individual educational institutions
(including not-for-profit and for-profit K-20, technical, and trade
schools), museums, art galleries, libraries, hospitals, as well as
other non-educational, not-for-profit or for-profit organizations that
require routine collaboration on instructional, clinical, and/or
research projects, services, and content with Primary participants or
with other Sponsored Participants. Such organizations typically are
either not eligible or not able to become Internet2 members."

[2] http://www.internet2.edu/network/dc/

"To support the development, deployment, and use of innovative hybrid
optical networking capabilities, Internet2 is initiating a no-fee
trial of the Internet2 DCN."