Maintainer Responsibilities

Ding-Yi Chen dchen at redhat.com
Fri Jun 5 07:17:34 UTC 2009

於 四,2009-06-04 於 07:23 +0200,Ralf Corsepius 提到:
> Steven M. Parrish wrote:
>
> > Many people have mentioned that it is not right to ask the users to file their
> > bug reports upstream.  I ask why not?
>
> Let me summarize what I already wrote elsewhere in this thread:
> * Users aren't necessarily developers.
> * Users aren't necessarily interested in getting involved upstream.
> * Users are reporting bugs against your product (your package in
> Fedora), not against upstream's work (somebody else's product).
>

> Let me try an analogy: How do you handle defects/malfunctions with your
> car?
>
> You'll visit your car dealer/a garage and report the issue to them.
> You'll expect them to identify the problem and to take appropriate steps
> to solve your issue. You don't expect them to direct you to the car's
> manufacturer or a component manufacturer and to discuss technical
> details you have no knowledge about with them ("Is the stuttering engine
> cause by triac 7 in a component A you haven't heard about before" or by
> the hall sensor in component B you also haven't heard about before).

Using your analogy:
If the car workshop does not have sufficient knowledge and material,
yes, that's right, the parts are ordered from upstream (the car
manufacturer).

If you want to, say, make a suggestion for your Ford, giving the
suggestion to the car workshop does not help much, unless it is one of
Ford's branch.

Some bugs need to go upstream, some bugs need not.

--
Ding-Yi Chen
Software Engineer

Looking to carve out IT costs?