Orphaning Packages: audacious and dependencies

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 15:09:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 6:04 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com>wrote:

> http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/audacious-2.0.1-0.1.fc10.src.rpm
> http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/audacious-plugins-2.0.1-0.1.fc10.src.rpm
>
> The included tarball is stripped for Fedora, to remove problematic
> files. Builds have been tested on F10 only. F11 is next.
>
> What will be needed is a maintainer for the -freeworld plugin packages.
> It shall be easy to modify above -plugins package and put back the
> original tarball, the required BR and configure options, and a
> desktop file for the MIME types.
>
> The API changes must be checked with every package that depends on
> audacious-devel.

Nice work.

I would create a symbolic link audacious -> audacious2, so the previous
bin can still be called.

Something as

pushd %{buildroot}%{_bindir}
ln -s %{name}2 %{name}
popd

before the clean section.

I would also call the libs package libs2, so the previous lib package do not
need
to be removed during the upgrade.

> > Meanwhile I'm almost done with preparing packages for Audacious 2.
> > Actually I have it running here already, but whereas I'm 99% done with
> > the -plugins package I still need to examine/rediff the patches in the
> > main package. It's not something I've done in one tiresome block as I've
> > almost started from scratch, only keeping fragments of the cleaned-up
> > 1.5.1 packages. Will publish them eventually prior to working on
> including
> > them in Fedora.
> >
> > Some random observations:
> >
> > There are API changes, which break external plugins, GVfs e.g. and header
> > locations. At least audacious-plugin-fc needs an updated implementation.
> >
> > There are patches that still need to be applied upstream.
> >
> > There is stuff in the packages which I consider questionable.
> > E.g. mp3/mpeg/wma related MIME types get removed from the main desktop
> > file, but also WAV and Ogg, then a hidden desktop file is added in the
> > -plugins package which readds the removed types although the needed
> > plugins are not available in the Fedora packages due to legal reasons.
> > The 3rd party packages could add such hidden desktop files. And actually
> > the main player is useless without the plugins package, so why add a
> > second hidden desktop file at all?
> >
> > Audacious 1 and Audacious 2 cannot coexist, since only the executables
> > have different names. I don't think it is worthwhile to create symlinks
> > for the old executable names.
>
> --

Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ