rpms/polkit-gnome/devel polkit-gnome.spec, NONE, 1.1 .cvsignore, 1.1, 1.2 sources, 1.1, 1.2

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 9 14:06:39 UTC 2009

Am Dienstag, den 09.06.2009, 09:28 -0400 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 14:58 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>

> > > # for /usr/share/gnome/autostart
> > > Requires: gnome-session
> >
> > Great! This adds
> > gnome-session: 1.8 MB
> > control-center: 7.1 MB
> > GConf2: 5,5 MB
> > gnome-keyring: 2,3 MB
> > gnome-vfs2: 3.1 MB
> >
> > You added at least ~ 22,8 MB overhead just for directory ownership,
> > although I asked you to _not_ do this. I think users of alternative
> > desktops and the maintainers of their spins will not be amused. Last
> > week you told me, that a one advantage of the new polkit is that no
> > longer requires GConf2, but now it's dragged in again.
> >

> Your anger is misdirected.

My anger is because people don't honor our packaging guidelines not even
if they are asked to do so. The guidelines are very clear in this case:
"Multiple packages have files in a common directory but none of them
requires others. [...] In this case, each package must own
the /usr/share/Foo/Animal/ directory."
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#File_and_Directory_Ownership

> Complain to the rpm people for not handling
> directories in a sane way. Or better still, send them a patch...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem with rpm is that an empty,
unowned dir is left behind if
      * it's no longer owned by any package
      * packages got uninstalled in the wrong order
Both are reasons for duplicate ownership, not to mention the large
overhead that is pulled in.

Regards,
Christoph