rpms/polkit-gnome/devel polkit-gnome.spec, NONE, 1.1 .cvsignore, 1.1, 1.2 sources, 1.1, 1.2

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Jun 9 14:20:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 16:06 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> My anger is because people don't honor our packaging guidelines not even
> if they are asked to do so. The guidelines are very clear in this case:
> "Multiple packages have files in a common directory but none of them
> requires others. [...] In this case, each package must own
> the /usr/share/Foo/Animal/ directory."
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#File_and_Directory_Ownership

Well, part of the problem is that the review guidelines strike a very
different tone:

MUST: A package must own all directories that it creates. If it does not
create a directory that it uses, then it should require a package which
does create that directory.

MUST: Packages must not own files or directories already owned by other
packages. The rule of thumb here is that the first package to be
installed should own the files or directories that other packages may
rely upon. This means, for example, that no package in Fedora should
ever share ownership with any of the files or directories owned by the
filesystem or man package. If you feel that you have a good reason to
own a file or directory that another package owns, then please present
that at package review time.