USB autosuspend in F12

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 16:10:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 05:16:41PM +0200, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > The first part of this is an upload of libfprint which enables
> > autosuspend on fingerprint readers.
>
> Fingerprint readers and other "un-unpluggable" USB laptop stuff
> such as flash-readers, bluetooth adapters etc. are perfect candidates
> for suspending.

USB mass storage is more awkward, but otherwise yes. Note that this
isn't inherently about suspending the device - they may go into a power
savig state, but it's not required that they be fully powered down. The
issue is more about letting the *bus* power down. How much we save will
depend on the specific bus layout on a given machine, and also whether
we can successfully autosuspend all of the drivers.
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org