Fedora LaTeX SIG?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jun 11 17:02:49 UTC 2009

Le jeudi 11 juin 2009 à 10:44 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III a écrit :

> JL> Hi everyone, there seems to be quite a lot of room for improvement
> JL> in the current Fedora LaTeX scheme.
>
> I will point out that there has been some discussion in this area and
> plans formed, but for some bizarre reason the discussion happened on
> the rel-eng list and not anywhere where most people would notice.
> Look for the thread "TeX Live 2008/9 packaging and you" at
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/rel-eng/2009-June/thread.html
>
> What I took away from reading (but not being able to participate in)
> that discussion is that our texlive* packages are going to be split up
> and that the package review team is going to have an astonishing
> amount of work to do.

I didn't see this before but I can only agree with the replies: this is
an insane plan. Nobody is ever going to review properly a 2.7 MiB spec
file, updating will be hell, etc.

Jindrich expressed fear about getting stuck in review if he split his
srpm but on the fonts part at least we've been reviewing *every*
*single* package submitted for review for months (usually after a few
days) and in fact all the reviews that went nowhere were closed because
the submitter went MIA, not because of lack of reviewer.

Of course that can be done because we expect *simple* *standard* specs
as input, which this proposal isn't.

The amount of work can probably be reduced by killing the source
packages (we have srpms for that) and only shipping the most recent font
formats (TEX people like to ship the same font in 2-3 different formats,
that only encourages users not to convert to the latest one)

--
Nicolas Mailhot