Fedora PPC console=? to get serial console

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 18:33:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 01:34:25PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Richard W.M. Jones<rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I'm using qemu-system-ppc, not a real machine.
>
> I have no idea.  I've never used that and the last time I looked it
> was emulating some kind of really old system we don't even support.

It's useful to be able to run Fedora on qemu-system-ppc, if only
because it allows me to track down build problems that only affect the
ppc builders.  (Which in fact is what got me into this in the first
place).

Fedora ppc (32 bit) boots on qemu from git, but not our build of qemu
(BZ 505109).  Albeit without serial console[1].

I haven't been able to get Fedora ppc64 to do anything at all, neither
with Fedora's qemu, nor with qemu from git.  I'm not even sure I'm
doing it right.

Rich.

[1] qemu-system-ppc emulates PC-style serial ports (ie. 16550A).  The
Fedora ppc kernel contains the right driver and prints a message
indicating that ports are available, but for some reason nothing is
actually sent or received.  I guess that no real PPC hardware would
have such serial ports.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html