Fedora PPC console=? to get serial console

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 23:45:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Richard W.M. Jones<rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 09:49:03PM +0300, Jussi Lehtola wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 19:33 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> > It's useful to be able to run Fedora on qemu-system-ppc, if only
>> > because it allows me to track down build problems that only affect the
>> > ppc builders.  (Which in fact is what got me into this in the first
>> > place).
>>
>> btw, we don't currently have a howto: debug failing builds on esoteric
>> architectures. Is it as simple as running mock
>>  $ mock -r fedora-11-ppc package.srpm
>> and testing the binaries with
>>  $ qemu-system ./binary
>
> I'm pretty sure this won't work.  mock would (via yum) try to install
> RPMs which had %post scripts that would need to run PPC binaries.
> Then the whole make/compiler would also be PPC binaries and so
> wouldn't run in mock.
>
> What I'm trying is to boot a Fedora PPC virtual machine, which I then
> log into and run mock (or rpmbuild or whatever) inside.
>
>        - - -
>
> PPC64 is a complete mystery to me though.  The errors I get from qemu
> seem to indicate that 'qemu-system-ppc64 -cpu ppc64' doesn't
> understand the 64 bit opcodes in the ppc64 kernel.  But it claims to
> be emulating a PowerPC 970FX (which is a 64 bit processor, commonly
> known as the G5).

64-bit opcodes would be odd, since the opcodes on ppc64 are still 32-bit.

For ppc64 systems, it also depends on what class of arch it is
presenting.  I would expect a CHRP setup for ppc970, but I have no
idea.

If you send me an ssh pubkey, I can get you an account on a G5.  That
should work for anything except kernel or glibc debug.

> Doesn't Fedora PPC64 have a 64 bit kernel and 32 bit userland?

Mostly, yes.

josh