[Phoronix] Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Fedora 11 Performance

Kyle McMartin kyle at mcmartin.ca
Fri Jun 12 13:12:38 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 03:03:58PM +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Nice find!
>
> Maybe we can run the "real world test suite" ("benchmark") before the
> next release and try to straighten out such odds.
>
> Most of the benchmark results they post are not showing scientific
> results, only when something is really odd, like here, they have their
> use.

It's almost certainly attributable to the default install using audit.
Roland and various others have done a lot of work improving things, but
there is always going to be a per-syscall overhead to this kind of
thing. A few extra usec a syscall adds up after a few hundred thousand
calls...

regards, Kyle