[Phoronix] Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Fedora 11 Performance

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Jun 13 12:45:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 06:05:52AM +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> Up until 30 minutes ago, I was unaware of the fact that they use
> test-suite compiled binaries.
> Though I'd imagine that in Phoronix' view, having (far) different
> compile options in the distribution supplied binaries might generate
> invalid results. (Due to missing features, non-standard optimization,
> etc)

It depends what they're trying to test. The name of the benchmark is really
misleading, and causes bad extrapolation -- it's called "Apache Benchmark",
but really all they mean is "Apache-BASED benchmark". They're not
benchmarking http performance on the distro: they're benchmarking
*something* represented by exercising a certain bit of code (which happens
to be Apache httpd) in a certain way.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect