Do we need split media CDs for F12?

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 08:30:32 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Bradley Baetz <bbaetz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14/06/09 04:53, Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:
>

>> ----- "Frank Murphy"<frankly3d at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>  Just curious.
>>>
>>> But if a user has bandwidth problems, how is\are mutiple CD's going
>>> to help, or is it purely on hardware grounds, no dvd-rom.
>>>

>> Does no one remember what happened last time the CD ball was dropped?
>> Lets not repeat history just for fun. We have been down this road
>> before, it was ugly and only lasted one release. Torrent tracker
>> numbers BTW do not always tell the truth. In many cases in these less
>> fortunate areas one person will download the ISO images, then make
>> CDs for any one in the surrounding villages. Sneakernet is alive and
>> well. I asked about this topic a few minutes ago in the
>> #fedora-social IRC channel because we seemed to have a pretty diverse
>> mix of people chatting. There was a resounding response that the CDs
>> need to be kept.
>>

> What about a script that takes the DVD image and produces CD .isos? That
> saves on mirror space, but still allows people who want/need CDs to make
> them. Although it would require (temporarily) 2-3 times the disk space for
> that process, I guess.
>
> Bradley

A script that takes the DVD image to produce the CD versions would basically
require extracting the whole DVD image and then generating new ISOs from
that tree. Maybe mirrors could do it if you want to save space on the main
server or whatever.

Also, maybe we should support PXE/network booting the Live version from
mirrors or whatever with the advent of netbooks and other computers without
an optical drive. While doing it via USB is preferable, it is not always
possible. For example I have a laptop with a completely damaged drive bay
where the CD drive is and it does not support booting from USB devices.
Being able to boot the Live distro from a network would be a great
alternative.