Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon Jun 15 22:05:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

   >> - AMD Geode

   > I'm a little worried about this one.  Although AMD stopped making
   > the processors at the end of 2008, they were sort of popular for
   > certain super-cheap, small (for want of a better description)
   > "Mac Mini clones" that have been selling well in the UK.  Like
   > this one:

Well, if we're going to consider marketshare, I'd expect the million
or so Geodes already running Fedora (on the XO-1) to count for quite
a bit more than some Mac Mini clones that someone might run Fedora
on someday.  :)

To be clear about the XO-1, it's generally 686-compatible, so it's the
SSE2 requirement that's a problem here.  (I think we've seen a problem
with liboil getting SIGILL when compiled for i686 on the XO-1, but
it's much easier to contemplate recompiling one package as i586 than
to make a whole new distribution as non-SSE2.)

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>