Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Jun 16 01:55:33 UTC 2009

On 06/15/2009 02:36 PM, Dave Jones wrote:
>   >
>   >  What CPUs do we lose that F11 supports?
>   >
>   >  - Intel i586 (all)
>
> judging by the number of 586 users who register with smolt (less than 0.1%
> our entire userbase), not that big a deal.

I don't think smolt accurately tells the picture here.  Most older
hardware in use wouldn't be a traditional install where you might have a
chance of using smolt, but rather something special purpose, like thin
clients.

That being said, I'm in favor i686 + SSE2.  We however need to take the
i586 secondary arch seriously.  With i586 being a priority, this might
help to improve processes in general for the other secondary archs?  I
dunno.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com