Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Jun 16 03:56:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:01:14PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Because that's significantly less of our userbase. I'd love to have
> harder numbers, but we're still talking about a set of CPUs that
> (outside of corner cases like the Geode and C3) ceased production
> anywhere from 4 (Athlon) to 6 (P3) to 10 (P2) years ago.

production, but not support.  People buying these did expect software
to exist and run on them for more than 4+ years.

My little old Latitude C400 works great as a relatively low power
firewall/router/printserver/torrent seed/bastion host.

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor   : 0
vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
cpu family  : 6
model	      : 11
model name    : Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU      1200MHz
stepping      : 1
cpu MHz		: 798.000
cache size	: 512 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		  : no
f00f_bug	  : no
coma_bug	  : no
fpu		    : yes
fpu_exception	    : yes
cpuid level	    : 2
wp		    : yes
flags		      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
bogomips : 1594.67
clflush size	: 32
power management:

BIOS Information
        Vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
        Release Date: 03/01/2004

with a BIOS a little over 5 years old.  Is it long in the tooth?  sure.  Is it still very functional?  you bet.

I wouldn't go so far as to require sse2 in such a move.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO