Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Jun 16 13:04:43 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> said:
> Jon Ciesla (limb at jcomserv.net) said:
> > Additionally, what will this do to RHEL?  I can't imagine RHEL customers
> > being too happy about this for RHEL7(?), and if i386 would still be in
> > RHEL, it would worry me that it would only be a secondary arch in
> > Fedora. . .
>
> Not that it matters for Fedora, but I doubt many people are paying
> $whatever_the_price_of_RHEL_is to run on a 6, 7, 10-year old machine. And
> RHEL 5 only supports (base) i686 or greater already.

RHEL 5 doesn't require SSE2 and runs just fine on PIII and Athlon XP.

I think the big question is this: is this worth the effort?  Almost all
the new systems should just be running x86_64 anyway.  Why does x86 (32
bit) need to throw out working architectures?  Adding them back as a
secondary arch just increases the workload (for somebody) that much
more.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>